- 50% of bosses who bully are men, 50% women
- 96% of colleagues are aware of incidents of bullying
- Psychological violence lasts 16.5 months on average
- Most bullying does not constitute illegal conduct. In only 8% of cases was the victim classified as a legally protected employee (disabled or member of a minority).
- 67% of victims report having no prior history of being bullied
- 41% of victims are diagnosed with depression
- 31% of women victims experience post-traumatic stress disorder
- Bullies rarely suffer career consequences because in 42 percent of cases, the bully’s supervisor assists the bully or punishes the victim.
- 11% of colleagues side with the bully.
[US Hostile Workplace Survey, 2000]
WHO ARE THE VICTIMS?
- Mostly women
- Individuals who don’t fight back
- Individuals who are focused on their work
- Individuals who are not political animals, who think they can rise above the fray
- Individuals who are usually nonconfrontational
- Individuals who are competent and are perceived as a threat
- Individuals who are independent and popular
[Source: Maureen Milford]